Tuesday, December 13, 2011

FlyNate Mentions BSIXTEE6 in interview with URBAN VAULT


Urban Vault caught up with U.S R&B singer, songwriter and producer Nathaniel to ask him some questions about his music, inspirations & collaborations...

Singer. Songwriter. Producer. Dancer. These are a few of the talents that encompass New York's next R&B superstar. Nathaniel, from Brooklyn, started singing in local churches and talent competitions. Under the training and encouragement of his mother, Nathaniel has won several awards including Urban Threshold's Underground Music Award for Best Male R&B Group of 2008 while performing with his brothers as the group Mr. Peterson. Striving to put Brooklyn back on the map, Nathaniel, as a solo artist writes, performs, and produces songs that are as much club hits as they are influential. Garnering a youth movement in every sense of the phrase, Nathaniel often lends his talents to events that promote the empowerment of young people while providing awareness to major issues that affect us all. Nathaniel has been featured in shows such as The Annual Week of People hosted by HUB Entertainment, Newark's campaign to stop the violence; Covenant House's first Annual "Youth Explosion" raising awareness of troubled youth and families; "Cover Up", an event by Silent Voices to increase AIDS awareness in which Nathaniel performed the memorable anthem 'Get Tested'; and, ME Divas' Domestic Violence Awareness and Prevention music series. Nathaniel is sure to have not only a future in music; but a career marked by longevity.
What is your name?
Nathaniel alias "Flynate"
How old are you?
24
Where are you from?
Brooklyn, New York.. born and raised.
How long have you been making music?
Since a child.. I grew up singing in church.
How many songs / albums have you released to date?
Officially 2 songs - Spiderman and Fire on the Dance floor (both are on iTunes)
Can you tell us about your new collaboration with DJ Kay Slay, DJ Doo Wop, DJ Khaled & DJ Drama, the background and inspirations behind it?
Well the name of the record is "King of the Streets". Basically it's some of the biggest DJs all rapping. They're basically expressing how they feed the streets with music, and how they are the reason that the streets stay hot. There's a record I did with Papoose called "King Of the Hood" and DJ Kay Slay loved the record alot. So when the time came I recieved a random phone called one saturday night from Slay, and he asked if I was free that night. I was on my way to the club but I immediately canceled that to go straight to the studio. He told me he had a big record that he needed my voice on and it was this record, with him, Khaled and Drama all rapping. I knew that it was gonna be something big, but I had no clue that I was going to be apart of history.
How have you ended up in the music industry?
Well I spent alot of time reaching out to people and spreadin my sound through the industry. As more poeple begin to hear my sound it become easier to get on big records. Now the key is to get my sound out into the general public.
What do you think of the music industry in 2011?
I think the music industry today is in need of more organic artists. Music that's more outside of the box, instead of everyone trying to fit in. The most original artists seem to make it the furthest and there is a reason for that.
Who inspires you when you make your music?
Well I'm usually inspired by either something I'm going through or something that someone else is going through. The songs that I create are just my way of painting the picture of that emotion or story.
Who have you collaborated with so far in your Career?
So far I have collaborated with Wiz Khalifa, Jadakiss, Ludacris, Papoose, I20, DJ Khaled, DJ Kay Slay and a few more.
Who would you like to collaborate with in the future?
I would love to collaborate with some R&B artists as well like Musiq Soulchild, Mary J, India Arie etc. And rappers like Jay Z, Fabulous and Kanye.
what was the first album you brought?
The first was Musiq Souldchild 'I Just Wanna Sing'.
Whats your favorite song at the moment?
Right now it's Beyonce - Party feat J Cole.. that record is tough, and it feels real genuine.
If you had to sell your music collection tomorrow, what album would you leave in your draw?
Well honestly I don't own any cd's right now, and I'm not selling my own joints so, nothing.
What do you think of TV music talent show competitions?
They're cool for exposure but they have bad contracts and are more about TV than the talent sometimes.
What do you do when your not making music?
Well I'm in school for computer science and I'm trying to learn spanish.. on my own (laughs).
Whats your favorite Fashion brand?
Favorite.. B66
Do you have any tattoos or piercings?
Yeah, just my ears pierced. No tattoos because I'm too indecisive..
How many pairs of trainers do you own?
I have no clue what trainers are..
How many hats do you own?
A couple of fitteds.. nothing too crazy
Whats your favorite takeaway?
My favorite past time... is music.. that's what takeaway means right (laughs)
How many followers do you have on twitter?
I dont even know at this moment, it goes up and down!
In a few words sum up your thoughts about Urban Vault?
I think Urban Vault is a great look and it shows love to independent artist like myself.. much love!
Thank you for your time and may you carry on making dope, fresh music....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment